here is a paper detailing the idea of the suitcase as phd, written by Daria Loi.
“Alternative thesis formats that include the use of artefacts should be considered when:
- the researcher intends to be consistent with the content discussed in the thesis;
- the researcher intends to show in action theories or tools discussed in the thesis;
- the researcher finds textual means unsuitable for delivering specific notions;
- the researcher is better at expressing content via non-textual means; and
- the content the researcher intends to portray is non-textual.
In such circumstances artefacts have the role of opening up new ways of articulating, accessing, and communicating research, fostering innovation and new modes of delivering postgraduate research.”